Yatedo is a search engine with the aim of helping you find anyone throughout the web. However Yatedo is also what is known as a scraper; it searches the internet and rips your public information from social networks in particular LinkedIn and Facebook. Yatedo is an opt-out rather than opt-in service because it takes your public information and displays it on its own website, without your consent.
The makers of Yatedo claim their service to be:
Yatedo is a free people search engine which helps you find and contact anybody throughout the web. Yatedo has developed and continue developing technologies that simplifies and facilitates the search and social experience to help people find and connect to each others.
This may seem fine, but in my opinion the method of doing this is morally wrong. The service should be something you sign up to and give information to freely. Not a service you have to liberate your data from.
If like me you don’t mind your information being public on the internet, then good for you you have nothing to worry about. However if your Social Media profiles are public and Yatedo has used your information without your permission and you want it to stop, here is how to do that.
First to check that your Facebook timeline is not visible to search engines:
- Go to facebook.com/settings/?tab=privacy
- (login if necessary) Find the section where it says: “Do you want other search engines to link to your timeline?” – click the “Edit” button
- Now uncheck the box that says: “Let other search engines link to your timeline“
- Facebook then asks you to “Confirm” this action
Next to check that your LinkedIn profile is private:
- Go to linkedin.com/profile/public-profile-settings
- (login if necessary) On the right hand side section titled “Customize Your Public Profile” select the option “Make my public profile visible to no one“
Finally to remove your Yatedo profile:
- Go to Yatedo
- Search for your profile
- Click your profile
- Copy the URL of your profile
- Now go to yatedo.com/index/privacy
- In the profile URL box paste in the address you copied before
- In the verification box type the letters you see
- Click the Confirm button
Your unwanted Yatedo account should now be deleted, but it can take two or more weeks to be removed from all search engines.